15.4. Service of the conditioner and precautionary measure
The air conditioning system is under high pressure. DO NOT WEAKEN any connections and do not remove any components of system to its full discharge. Coolant of air conditioning system has to be produced correctly in special capacity by the qualified specialist. The coolant used in system should not get on your skin and into eyes since there is a danger of a frostbite. At contact of coolant with an open flame there is a release of poisonous gas. Therefore smoking in operating time with coolant is extremely dangerous, in particular inhalation of its vapors through the lit cigarette. Coolant has the bigger specific weight, than air, and can cause suffocation during the work with it indoors, such as house garage. And at last, the uncontrolled production of coolant in the nature can cause serious damage to the environment, creating "greenhouse effect".
For ensuring operation of the conditioner with maximum efficiency it is necessary to carry out the following inspections regularly:
- Check a driving belt. If it is worn-out or damaged, replace it (see the Head Routine maintenance of the car).
- Check system hoses. Look for cracks, swellings, hardenings and signs of wear. Examine hoses and nipple connections on existence of vials of oil and leaks. At detection of any signs of wear, damages or leaks replace hoses.
- Examine condenser edges on existence in them of the got stuck leaves, insects and other garbage. Use a special "crest for edges" or compressed air for cleaning of the condenser.
- Make sure that the system is correctly loaded with coolant as it is described below.
- It is very useful to banish system within about 10 minutes at least once a month, especially in winter time. Non-use of system can lead to hardening and the subsequent failure of epiploons of system for a long time.
- In connection with complexity of the air conditioning system, and also with the fact that its service requires the special equipment serious diagnostics of malfunctions and the procedure of repair are not included in this manual. However, simple checks and procedures of replacement of components are given in this Chapter.
- Low level of charging of system is coolant the most common cause of bad cooling. If you found noticeable reduction of an exit of cool air, the following bystry check will help you to define whether coolant level in system is reduced.
- Warm up the engine up to the normal working temperature.
- Install the conditioner temperature switch in the coldest situation, and the supercharger of air on a maximum. Open doors (to make sure that air conditioning system will not be switched off as soon as cools salon).
- At the switched-on compressor - the coupling of the compressor will publish noticeable click, and its center will begin to rotate - touch the pipe located closely to the right forward longeron of a frame near a radiator.
- If you notice essential fall of temperature, then it is probable, the level of coolant is normal.
- If the inlet line became covered with hoarfrost or is to the touch colder, than an accumulator/dehydrator surface, so the level of coolant is lower than norm. Charging of system has to be made only by the qualified specialist.