- If at turn of the ignition key the starter does not rotate at all, be convinced that the lever of gear shifting is in situation "N" or "P" (automatic transmission) or if it is provided, the coupling pedal (manual transmission) is pressed.
- Be convinced. that the battery is charged and that all wires both on battery plugs, and on plugs of the traction relay, pure and are reliably fixed.
- If the starter rotates, but the engine is not turned, then the obgonny coupling of a starter slips, and the starter needs to be replaced.
- If at turn of the ignition key the starter does not rotate, the traction relay publishes click, the problem is concluded either in the battery, or in contacts of the traction relay, or in the starter (or jammed the engine).
- If at turn of the ignition key it is not heard actions of a plunger of the traction relay, then the battery, the defective switch of ignition is faulty, the safety wire (a rupture of a chain) fused or the traction relay is faulty.
- For check of the traction relay connect a crossing point between the battery (+) and the plug of turning on of the traction relay (the small plug). If now the starter works, then the traction relay as it should be and the problem is concluded in the ignition switch, the starter inhibitor switch (model with automatic transmission), the coupling switch (some models with manual transmission) and in wires.
- If the starter nevertheless does not work, remove for dismantling, check and repair the traction relay / starter assembled.
- If the starter turns the engine with abnormally slow speed, then first of all be convinced that the battery is charged and all tips of plugs are hardly tightened. If the engine jams or oil with the wrong viscosity is applied, then the engine will be slowly turned.
- Warm up the engine up to the normal working temperature, then disconnect from an ignition distributor cover a high-voltage wire of the coil of ignition for connect it to the case.
- Connect the positive probe of the voltmeter to the positive plug of the battery, and the negative probe - to the negative plug.
- Turn the engine and take the established readings of the voltmeter. Do not allow rotation of a starter longer than 10 seconds without interruption. Voltage of 9 V also is normal more when the starter turns the engine with a normal speed. If the indication of 9 V and more, but rotation speed low, then the starter is faulty or the problem with the battery (is faulty or discharged).