16.7. General information about system of a charge and precautionary measure during the work with it
There are two types of the generators installed on these models: Bosch and Motorola. Also there are three various levels of current: 65 A, 80A and 90 A. Shtampovanny on the back surface of the generator serial number identifies type and level of current. At any problems with the generator make checks of system of a charge (watch the Section Check of System of a Charge).
The regulator of tension and brush of the generator are executed in the form of uniform knot. In Bosch generators this knot can be removed and its components are served separately (watch the Section Replacement of the Regulator of Tension).
On all models the generator is installed on the left side of the engine and rotates a V-shaped belt from an engine pulley. In these systems two main requirements are the tension of a belt and service of the rechargeable battery. Check of a tension of a belt of the engine and service of the battery are described in the Head Routine maintenance of the car.
At turn of the ignition key in situation "START" (Start) the lamp of control of charge/inclusion of ignition has to light up, then immediately after start of the engine - to go out. If the lamp continues to burn, then the system of a charge has malfunction (watch the Section Check of System of a Charge). Some cars are also equipped with the voltmeter. If the voltmeter shows abnormally high or low voltage, check system of a charge (watch the Section Check of System of a Charge).
On models up to 1986 at burn-out of a lamp of control of charge/inclusion ignition operation of the generator on a charge stops. After 1987 in parallel the lamp of control installed the resistor to provide passing of current bypassing a lamp in case of break of a chain (burn-out of a lamp).
Be very careful, making electric connections to the generator, and pay attention to the following:
- At accession to the generator of wires of the battery be convinced of the correct polarity.
- Before carrying out repair of any parts of the car with application of arc welding disconnect from the battery and the generator of a wire.
If the radio receiver on your car is equipped with system of protection against stealing, before shutdown of the rechargeable battery be convinced that the correct code of activization is known. Before a detachment of a wire apply for information to the Section System of Protection of the Audio System from theft and language of an instrument guard.
If after connection of the battery on the display of the dashboard the message in other language appears, for the procedure of installation of language address the Section System of Protection of the Audio System from theft and language of an instrument guard.
- Never start the engine with the charger connected to the battery. Always before use of the charger of the rechargeable battery disconnect both wires.
- Never at the working engine disconnect from the battery or the generator of a wire.
- The generator rotates a driving belt of the engine. If at the working engine under a belt hands, hair or clothes get, then there can be serious injuries.
- As the generator is directly connected to the battery, take measures not to short-circuit the main plug on the earth.
- Before cleaning of the engine hot steam wrap up the generator a plastic package of rubber tapes.