- If in system of a charge there was a malfunction, do not draw a conclusion at once that a problem in the generator. First of all check the following:
- Check a tension and a condition of a driving belt (watch Chapter Routine maintenance of the car). Replace the belt which is worn out or lost quality.
- Make sure that fixing and adjusting bolts are hardly tightened.
- Examine a cable and sockets of the generator and the regulator of tension. They have to be in good shape and hard.
- Check safety locks.
- Start the engine and check existence in the generator of abnormal noise (the tinkling sound and a scratch indicate wear of the bearing, however, they can be because of slipping of a belt - watch point and above).
- Check battery electrolyte density. If it low, charge the battery (does not treat unattended batteries).
- Make sure that the battery is completely charged (one faulty element of the battery can cause excessive charging current).
- Disconnect wires of the rechargeable battery (the first negative, then positive). Examine plugs of the battery and tips of wires on corrosion existence. If necessary carefully clear them (watch Chapter Routine maintenance of the car).
- At the switched-off ignition between the negative plug of the battery and a tip of the disconnected negative wire connect a control lamp of 12 Century. If the control lamp does not light up, attach a wire and follow instructions of item 4. If the control lamp lights up, in electric system of the car there is a short circuit (leak). Short circuit should be eliminated before check of system of a charge.
Before conducting check it is necessary to disconnect constant consumers (such as hours or memory of settings of the radio receiver).
- Disconnect a generator cable. If the control lamp does not die away, the generator is faulty. If the lamp continues to burn, in turn take safety locks until the lamp goes out (it indicates a component with short circuit).
- Check the voltmeter battery tension at the killed engine. It has to be about 12 Century.
- Start the engine and again check battery tension. Now it has to be from, about, 14 to 15 Century.
- Include headlights. Tension has to fall, and then again increase if the system of a charge is serviceable.
- If value of tension is higher, than it is required for system of a charge, replace tension regulator (address the Section Replacement of the Regulator of Tension). If tension is lower, than it is required, then the generator diode(s), a starter or a rotor can be faulty, or the regulator of tension works incorrectly.
- If the short circuit which caused leakages of a charge of the battery, no, and the battery is constantly discharged, then or the battery is faulty. Or the generator belt (watch Chapter Routine maintenance of the car) weakened, are worn-out, lost contact or generator brushes (look the Section Check and replacement of brushes of the generator) are polluted, tension regulator (watch the Section Replacement of the Regulator of Tension) or diodes incorrectly works, the winding of the stator or a winding of a rotor failed.
- Repair or replacement of diodes, windings of the stator or a winding of a rotor goes beyond opportunities of a house workshop. Or replace entirely the generator, or send it to the auto electrician who can make repair.
On models till 1986 at burn-out of a lamp of control of charge/ignition the battery charge stops. After 1987 parallel to a lamp of control the resistor that current proceeded bypassing a lamp is connected if the chain is broken off (the control lamp fused).